Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Clothes on and Clothes off

I was having a conversation with my running buddy Michelle last weekend and we were discussing the fact that summer was fast approaching and how we felt about it. It made me realize that I have a really weird thought process when it comes to wearing and not wearing clothes. Okay I'll try to explain a bit better. I have always found that I'm very critical of myself in clothes and I try and cover up any parts of me that I'm not happy with, so I buy bigger tops which don't accentuate my boobs. I've always had an issue with them. If I wear a fitted top men stare at them (well that's how I see it anyway) and I don't want people staring at me, especially men. I do not have massive boobs, but I have large ones, which I developed early in life, so I've always covered up on top. I have a sticky out tummy too, so most tops cover my stomach. So to sum up, I wear clothes to cover up my yukky bits rather than show off any good bits. BUT when it comes to stripping off for the beach, or to lay out in the sun and get a tan I'm there at the front of the queue. I have absolutely no qualms about wearing bathers on the beach, in the back yard, even when other people are around. I think it comes down to the fact that I love the sun and I love getting a tan. I do not feel self conscious at all when I'm at the beach, even in my little 2 piece bikini. Whenever the sun is out and I'm at home, the bathers go on and the clothes come off. I'm also very lucky as I don't have cellulite or stretch marks. Would this make a difference I wonder? Would I still put myself on show if I felt that people were looking at me for this reason?